As part of the regulations for importing into India, importers of plants and planting materials are required to set up quarantine facility(ies) to monitor any entry of foreign pests into the country.
The Directorate of Plant Protection, Quarantine and Storage (NPPO) sets up Inspection Authorities (IAs) to ensure that the facility is of utmost standard and then certified before it can be used.
A standard PEQ worthy of certification should have:
- Double door entry with external lock.
- All vents screened with insect-proof mesh.
- A drainage that passes through a gully trap with insect-proofing in case of concrete flooring
- A small isolated cunicle for growing indicator plants for virus detection.
- A disinfectant pad for feet, hands and basin sterilization at the entrances.
- A minimum floor space of 10 m2
- Suitable yellow sticky traps hanged at various canopy levels to monitor insect population.
For further enquiries & more details,